What Makes A Smart Snack?
Do you tend to take multiple snacks in between meals? Snacks help to curb the hunger when it’s still some time left for the next big meal of the day. Unfortunately, unhealthy snacks are making people sick, these days. You must make it a point to avoid unhealthy snacks at all costs. You need to know what are the healthy, yet tasty snacks that you can consume. Snacks can also help to fill the gaps in the nutrients that often remains even after eating proportionate meals throughout the day. That is the reason you need to be sure of the things that you are eating and get ample healthy snack ideas. Eating too much of unhealthy snacks in between meals will only lead to unhealthy weight gain. However, if you consume healthy snacks, you will be able to avoid adding those extra pounds and will also make sure that you are doing good to yourself. Given below is a list of smart and healthy snack ideas:
- You must chew the snacks well. Weird tip, I know! According to a recent study, people who chewed more, feel full longer than those who just gobble their snacks in no time. That is the reason you need to eat slowly and chew your food properly.
- You must snack on citrus fruits and vegetables. It will help to reduce the extra weight. If you are planning to lose weight, you need to eat sour things like grapefruit and lemon. It will help to reduce those extra pounds. However, you should consult with your dietician before taking too much of sour foods.
- You need to combine protein and carbohydrate. If you are preparing snacks, you need to make a combination of protein and carbohydrate. You can snack on roasted chickpeas, which is rich in protein and high amounts of fiber. It is suggested by the dieticians, if you eat more fiber, it will help in weight loss, and will prevent unnecessary gaining of extra weights. Carbohydrates are healthy for both the body and the brain. That is the reason you need to pack in more of those as snacks.
- Keeps foods ready in the freezer. You can keep a few bunches of grapes in the freezer. You can also keep other fresh fruits and vegetables that you can eat raw. Enjoy chilled fruits slowly. This will do some good to your body and will also give you the sweet satisfaction. By eating fresh fruits, you will be able to accumulate a few healthy calories and will be able to avoid a lot of unhealthy saturated fats that you’d have otherwise eaten as snacks.
Indulge in small treats – one at a time. If you are planning to drink wine, then skip the sweets for the day. You can also eat low-calorie chocolate once in a while. You need to make room for all the things that you want to eat. However, you need to make sure that you are balancing your snacks properly. This will prevent unnecessary packing of extra fats and calories.
Some Useful Healthy Snack Ideas
Even though we eat a healthy lunch, dinner, and breakfast, most of the time we tend to eat unhealthy snacks. Unhealthy snacking is one of the many reasons for unwanted weight gain and various health issues. That is the reason you need to know how to eat healthy snacks and what are the things that you should include during your snacking time. Healthy snacking can be much more that consuming sprouts and almonds. Given below are some healthy snack ideas:
- Pear, horseradish and roasted beef: This is one of the easy-to-make recipes that you can eat as snacks. You can mix together 1 tbsp of low-fat sour cream and prepared horseradish. You need to add around 3 slices of deli roast beef and fresh herbs on top of it all to get that amazing flavor. This snack will be around 149 calories and you will get around 15 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber and around 4grams of fat.
- Curried yogurt and beet chips: If you love chips, make sure that it is beet chips you are eating. You need to mix together curry powder and yogurt. This you can consume with the beet chips as dips. This snack contains around 180 calories. It is one of the healthiest alternatives for evening snacks.
- Bread crackers with chocolate spread and banana: On top of crisp bread crackers, you need to spread the chocolate. You can top it with sliced bananas for enhanced taste. This is a snack that contains around 214 calories, but all of that is healthy and fulfilling.
Choose snacks like this along with healthy food during the three large meals of the day – breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Soon you will feel and look more healthy and energetic. Here are certain important healthy snack ideas that you need to remember while choosing snacks:
- You must eat regular meals. You must remember that if you skip your lunch or breakfast and try to compensate those with snacks, your body will not get the required amount of nutrition.
- Wherever you go, you must carry healthy snacks along. By doing this, you do not have to eat fast foods from the streets or vendors. You must resist buyi8ng unhealthy snacks from the market. To avoid that, stock your fridge with healthy snacks. Eat too much of yogurt, fruits, nuts, and various vegetable dips.
- If you enjoy cooking, look for healthy snack ideas and try different recipes and add your own ideas to prepare snacks for yourself. You must remember that healthy home-made alternatives are always preferable over poor quality snacks from outside.
- Whatever you do, do not eat too much of snacks at one go. Do control your portions. This will help you to have a healthy meal plan. However, you mustn’t go hungry as it will lead to the consumption of a large amount of snacks, which is definitely not good for your health. You need to eat a balanced diet.
There is another important thing that you must remember, do not skip breakfast. It has been found that people skipping the first meal of the day tend to eat more snacks.
healthy Snacks That Your Kids Will Love!
When it comes to snacks, children tend to eat unhealthy. Most of the time, they eat out in between meals and this often lead to health problems and issues. It is not always to be by their side when they are in school or out with their friends. It is then they gobble such unhealthy foods the most. The only way you can prevent them from eating unhealthy snacks is preparing health and tasty snacks at home and stocking your fridge with lots of healthy snacks and food items that they can eat. Wondering what can you prepare easily at home? Given below is a list of 4 healthy snack ideas that are easy to make and are great for eating:
- Jicama and Ham wraps: To prepare this you need to wrap around 3 slices of ham with celery or jicama. You must divide the fillings and wrap evenly. You can serve this with a dip of mustard. It is very tasty and kids will love it. They will be consuming around 74 calories and the recipe is rich in protein and fat.
- Nuts: Nuts are healthy snack ideas. You can bring home a lot of different types of nuts from the market and stock those in the pantry. Your children can eat those snacks whenever they are hungry and thus will consume a lot of fibers, protein, and vitamins. Eating nuts will also give them energy. While it will effectively curb hunger, it will not affect the appetite for the next big meal.
- Smoothies: Smoothies are loved by all! You can make the banana, almond milk, and kale smoothie for your children. In a blender, put a banana (medium sized), 1 chopped kale, and 1 of almond milk. Now, blend these well together. You can serve smoothies chilled or at room temperature. It is tasty and your children will not feel the urge to have anything else after having this. A glass of smoothie contains 201 calories. It is also rich in good amount of fiber, protein, and fat.
- Minty pea dip eaten with Pretzel Chips: To prepare this snack, you need to mash about half a cup of peas and 1 tbsp of fresh mint leaves. You can serve this dip with pretzel chips. This makes for healthy afternoon snacks. This is healthy as well as tasty enough for the kids to love.
These are some of the snacks that you can make for your kids. You must make it a point to keep healthy snacks before the eyes of the kids so that they can munch on those when they are hungry. If the healthy snacks are easily available to them, they will not move to unhealthy snacks when they are hungry.
So, you are all set to make snacking healthy for your kids. Below are a few more healthy snack ideas:
- Vegetables sliced and dipped in hummus
- Dried nuts and fruits
- Popcorns (to enhance the taste add parmesan cheese)
- Fruits and almonds with cottage cheese
- Fruit smoothie made with milk of yogurt.